10 February 2010

Are Any of Us REALLY "Experts?"

I got a message last night from another author who told me "you have to read this," and copied me on a different message posted on someone's Facebook page (or similar)...a someone who shall remain nameless, but by all accounts has become marginally famous in the glamorous world of paranormal research by doing absolutely nothing but running off at the mouth. I won't even quote the message directly, but it was exactly the kind of magnanimous, self-congratulatory bullsh*t that makes me want to punch myself in the face.

Evidently this person wrote a book. Yeah, get in line, sister...I'm on book four.

Also evidently, this person touts herself as an "expert" in numerous areas of paranormal research. Really? Well, I suppose it's easy to be an expert in a field that science still hasn't been able to specifically pinpoint...that way you can make up the rules that suit you as you go along.

It just so happens that this is a fairly gigantic pet peeve of mine...people claiming to be "experts" when it comes to ghost hunting. Unless you have Dr. in front of your name, or an entire alphabet of credentials behind it, you are NOT an expert. I can make a grilled cheese sandwich, but that certainly doesn't make me a chef.

Truthfully, the only thing you can claim expertise on is your own experience. Anyone can absorb and regurgitate information that they have read or heard elsewhere, but that doesn't make the information YOURS. It's what you do WITH that information to try and move the conversation forward that matters. That's where you begin to build your own credibility. You can't just make stuff up, slap a cool name on it, and call it legitimate research. While it may entertain, it does not inform.

So, while I am wholeheartedly willing to drink the "drama-free paranormal" koolaid, I stand pat on the need to vet out the people that bring nothing BUT drama to the table.

Am I just pissing in the wind on this one, or can I get a witness to testify?

~Katie

9 comments:

  1. preach. lol. also visit: ipra-team.us

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are ABSOLUTELY not "pissing in the wind" my intelligent, paractical friend! You exhibit the sound logic (like me LOL!) that would truly make one of the leaders in the paranormal field (once it becomes a legitimate field of course). We are all in the learning stages in our current exploration of paranormal phenomena--and anyone who claims to be more knowledgeable than anyone else-who truly take this seriously of course-is a narcisistic ass. Kudos to you for this article!

    Sincerely--JOE

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true!! To proceed and say that you are an expert in the paranormal field is completely laughable. I can safely say as co-founder of Reading Paranormal Society in Berks County, Pennsylvania, that I have never admitted to having all the answers. My group and I are there to help our clients deal with the claims they have witnessed and produced for us. Some paranormal researchers may be good at what they do, but never give yourself the title of an expert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No your not pissing anything away... You keep doing what your doing... When you believe in something, you stick too it, and run your mouth..You know the statistics, you know your information, and, also share it with others.. but really, dont you love WANNA BEES...That they think they know everything, and they dont know jack shit...Well prove them wrong.. continue what you are doing and fight to the very end... i had a few experiences with paranormal activity.. do i believe, most definately, do i know everything about it, no, of course not... so these people that dont know jack shit, should keep, their mouths shut, and let the professionals handle it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness!! You guys all rock! Thank you for letting me blow off some steam. I feel SO much better now.

    Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep it up gang! Steady, logical investigations are what folks should be interested in. Of course, it doesn't make for great TV, but I'd watch a movie called 'Wailing Bandsidhe' over 'Paranormal Activity' any day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Bigernaz, I think you might have just made my day! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do I get a hole of Katie I want to ask her on our show on is any one an expert in this field.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm an expert. : )

    ReplyDelete