15 February 2010

Hey, Who's Elephant Is This?

I would imagine that, by now, everyone has seen the link to the post written by a fellow named Bill Stone – the one that lists all the steps to make a really bad ghost hunting group. John Zaffis posted it in a note, so if you haven’t read it, you can probably just go look on his page. It’s also been reposted a few times. Anyway…

I don’t even really know where to start with this one. I had been planning on writing a blog about defining motivation as a way to clear up some of the mud in the paranormal community, but then this started circulating and I realized, “Okay, now I KNOW I have to say something.”

Clearly, it’s time to call a spade a spade.

Here’s the deal. On the surface, we have what appears to be a very tongue-in-cheek look at what is believed to be the root problem of a lack of cohesiveness in the paranormal community. Groups of stupid people, with stupid websites, doing stupid things that make everyone look bad, right? Well, part of this may be true. In any area of interest, you are always going to have a bunch of @$$holes making things more difficult for the legitimate folks. Hell, I had the misfortune of having a project I was working on be completely cannibalized by another local group whom I had invited to participate. They were shady and disingenuous and they totally sabotaged the true intention of the project. Some of those fences have been mended, but others were burned beyond recognition or repair. The point is, yeah, some people lie and cheat and steal to gain a little bit of notoriety.

But that doesn’t mean that everyone with a website and an EMF detector is a fraud. A few of the points he makes include:

“Since the spawn of the television shows mentioned above, there have been a million new websites created, and just as many new ghost hunting teams have been born to emulate them.”

This is interesting considering that his website – thebeyond.info – has a copyright date a full year after Ghost Hunters went on the air. Is he being ironic and self-effacing? I am not sure. I found what I believe is a lot of contradiction between what he writes in this piece, and what is contained within his website.

Here’s another one:

“The truth is, people will see or hear anything that you tell them to. They do this because they’re morons. Don’t get me wrong. Morons are good. You need morons. Otherwise we’ll have people running around in the community with no direction at all, or even worse, thinking for themselves. No, it’s best to just tell them what you want them to believe, and watch them fall in line.”

Morons? All of them? Maybe they just need direction and guidance and proper instruction. I disagree with across-the-board name calling. If you are outspoken in the paranormal community, you need to be careful not to insult people that might have otherwise looked up to you. In other words, don’t sh!t where you eat.

This one makes a great segue into my next topic:

”This is an important aspect of the field that many of us forget to do. You have to connect yourself with those that have already made a name for themselves in the field, good or bad. It doesn’t matter if it’s true or not. Tell people that your friends with members of TAPS, Lorraine Warren, or some other famous investigator. By association, you will immediately be respected, and seen as someone that is already in the ‘inner circle’ of paranormal experts. Everyone will KNOW that you possess knowledge that goes beyond this physical realm, and far into the beyond. You’ve finally made it.”

You mean like writing an inflammatory albeit marginally humorous article and sending it to a very well known member of the paranormal community, hoping to curry favor and approval, and then feeling very pleased with yourself when the very people you set out to insult leave comment after comment about how funny and right you are? Well played.

I do think it’s interesting and appropriate to refer to an “inner circle” of paranormal researchers (I refuse to call anyone an expert). Let’s get out our spades now…

Here’s what I want to know. Why doesn’t anyone ever talk about the Good Ol’ Boy Network? We all know it’s there, and we all know who they are, but nobody wants to say, “Hey, how come YOU GUYS get to make all the rules?” Everyone loves to sh!t all over an orb photo, all the while cramming terms like “demonology” and “angelology” down our throats. I can show you a picture of an orb, but can you show me your degree in demonology? Don’t piss on my leg and tell me it’s raining. Why doesn’t anyone ever refer to The Rhine Research Center or Loyd Auerbach or Charles Tart? These are people that have actually done true, scientific paranormal research. Not the stuff that is fun to watch on TV or the dubious ghostly tales that translate into big moneymaking film ventures, but real research.

If we really want to move towards a cohesive community, this is the bullsh!t that needs to stop. If everyone works with integrity and truthfulness, the wheat will separate from the chaff. If you think a group or an individual is a big fat liar, stop talking about them, stop talking TO them, and they will just go away. If it brings someone joy to have a flashy website with skulls and music, what is the harm?

I’m just sayin’ is all…just keepin’ it real.

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, good points.

    Actually I refer to Tart, Honorton, etc, etc quite a bit :) The SPR ( www.spr.ac.uk ) now has a facebook fan page as well, and since 1990 I have worked hard to try and integrate ghosthunting groups with the parapsychological mainstream - in fact my recent blog post "thoughst on the SPR" - I can't post links here, well I'll try http://wp.me/pgfc-ie5 might work: anyway that article was an attempt to reach out and build bridges.

    I belong to a lot of "paranormal netowrks", but I have kind ofgiven up on networking now. Different cultures make communication hard - talk about "demonology" in English ghosthunting circles, people will probably lock you up -- (which is not to say I am personally unsympathetic to demon hypotheses in any way). Even though TAPS and MH used to ge on, you can see a difference even there I think...

    Still I'm not overly worried if ghostyhuntyers don't want to plough through the often technical and let's facr it for ghosts often irrelevent discussion of ganzfeld meta-analyses or whatever the European Journal of Parapsychology covers this issue.

    Ultimately, I despise elitism. I've worked with Most HAunted, Ghost Adventures, Ghosthunters (the UK one not TAPS) and lots of other tV shows over the years, and have what 23 years in the fileld. And I don't know **** more than anyone else does : because you can't have experts in a field like this (OK, you can, my girlfriend Becky is a real expert in that she si doing her PhD on it - but she is an expert on ***theories*** of apparitions, and if you read the Report on the Census of Hallucinations (1894), Seeing Ghosts by Hilary Evans (2002), Tyrell's Apparitions (1948) and Hornell-Hart's "Six theories of appartions" (1938) you will be up there with her, but the effort may kill you and not be worth it if you are a field researcher not a theorist!), but ultimately common sense, a lively curiosity and experience are what really count.

    Now there are good people out there,and nutters: but to me the good guys are not the ones with exytensive academic credentials, huge publication histories, or an endless knowledge of the liuterature -- the gooy guys (and gals) are the ones who help people, act responsibly, and have a good laugh. No matter how tacky a website, no matter how odd your spiritual beliefs seem to me, if you are actually helping people, collecting useful data and trying to share insights, and being nice to each other while having fun who cares?

    And if anyone does want to get involved in the academic stuff; Hey I'm alway happy to help. But ghosthunting groups serve other purposes - as field researchers, as therapists (and boy there is an ethical minefield out there) and as people doing hwat they love: and ther eis nowt wrong with that, indeed a great deal of good.

    Have fun, play safe and don't believe in bull**** authorities. :)

    cj x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you say about the "gool ol boy" network is true beyond what you probably meant. As a woman, I am viewed as a "witch" a "psychic", "weirdo"..ad inf. only because Im not male or have the extra added bonus of having an english accent. Im disinclined to even post my theories now because the english accents steal my ideas, and voila! they post MY stuff, and suddenly they are the genious! ( all the while telling ahyone within earshot that I am a "just a ghosthunter")
    While its true that I did not start seriously "investigating" phenomena until about 10 years ago, I grew up with it, and it has haunted my fathers side of the family - and me especially - forever.
    I do not want a TV show, I do not need to be a you tard star, and I could care less about any kind of acclaim on any level. I just want to know.
    Im so glad you said what I was thinking. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sucks, Sharon. I think it's really disconcerting that people with a genuine interest are being muscled out and strongarmed into complete exasperation by the folks at the "top." Don't give up, just stick with your interest and pursue it as it suits you, as long as you do no harm...like I said, the wheat will separate from the chaff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend of mine sent me this link. At first, I was a bit hurt by the things that were being said about me here. This sounds very personal. After all, MY article was a blanket statement directed at no specific person, and taken somewhat out of context, while some of the things said HERE attack the fiber of my personal character.

    I had planned to ignore it, and walk away. After all, if a few people on the Internet hate me, does it really matter? Normally, I would say, 'to hell with 'em', but in this case I changed my mind. I changed it because, after reading your comments, I think you're reading into my statements, as well as other things, and leaping to conclusions about me that... Couldn't be farther from the truth.

    THAT'S why I'm responding. If you guys wanna dislike me, I'm cool with that. Ya can't be liked by everyone, but if you're gonna dislike me me, you should should dislike me for the right reasons. For the truth.

    Look, you guys got me all wrong. I'm going to try to address some of the things that were said here to make it clear.

    You're right. I made my website in 2005. (well, started working on it earlier but that doesn't matter) I'm sorry I waited a year after Ghost Hunters came out. I don't know what you think that means, I guess, because of that, you think that I'm new to the field myself.

    I'm not. I have no need really to prove it to you. I mean, you're either going to believe me or you're, or you're not. I'm not going to be able to sway your opinion on this because you have your evidence. Theres my copyright date. What can I do? Why should I care? Would YOU care?

    I simply didn't know how to make a website until then. I didn't even have a computer until right before that. I love artwork, writing, and spooky stuff. Once I realized I could combine all three, in a website, I made it a point to learn how, and have fun with it. Up until then, I was still reading books, and researching the field without the Internet.

    It became a big, fun art project for me.

    And yeah... You're right, there's a lot of contradictory things about the article, and my site.

    Lets be honest. There's a tiny little bit of us ALL in that article. I can laugh at myself. I know my site contradicts things I make fun of there, particularly in the graphics department. I like skulls, and flashy things. A LOT of my site is tongue in cheek. If you've been there, you MUST have seen that. I mean, we're all grown men and women sitting in a graveyard or somebody's house in the middle of the night looking for ghosts. I can't fathom people not having a sense of humor about that. I choose to have fun with the field. I will NEVER change that.

    I'm not going to apologize for it. I hope you have fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Secondly, you talked about my "inner circle" rant, and how I sent my article to somebody for it to get noticed, or whatever.

    This is an assumption on your part, and a personal accusation that you really didn't look into thoroughly before you made it. I mean, it's so completely against what I'm all about.

    About two years ago... Maybe a little less, I got the idea to add an Article and Editorials section to the site so I could publish other peoples paranormal related writings, and throw them out to the world with RSS feeds. I don't know if you're a web designer or not, but if you are, you might be able to relate to this. I HATE having an empty page. It just irks me to no end. I need to fill it with something, or I'm not doing my job. Because of that, I had to hurry up, and write an article just to get something up onto the page. Anything.

    THAT was the article that all this fuss is about. It's almost 2 years old. The only person I sent it to was a friend of mine who had enjoyed it, and wanted to put it on her site. She thought her readers would get a kick out of it. (Edited for content 'cause hers is a family friendly site.)

    The article was a tongue in cheek, deuchebagian commentary about my BIGGEST problem with the paranormal field. I WANTED it to hit a nerve with the right people, but I never even thought anybody other than my friends would bother to read the thing.

    If I were one of these people who was looking for publicity, I would have sent it to John Zaffis when I wrote it. I don't even actively advertise my site. I think I got it on a couple crappy toplists, and my sites link exchange, but that's about it.

    I haven't mentioned, or heard ANYTHING about that article until a couple weeks ago when someone told me that people were passing the thing around cause of some dude called John Zaffis. I heard the name somehow but, I didn't even know anything about the guy.

    I STILL have no idea why its suddenly got people reading it after all this time.

    So now he has my 2 year old article on his facebook, and its getting passed around WITHOUT its title.

    Did you notice that the title of the article was missing? I noticed immediately because I'm now getting messages about how I'm 'ANTI new people getting involved in the field'. People think I'm against new people getting involved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is because the title was missing. They think that the article is about new people wanting to become ghost hunters or investigators (BIG difference), and that I'm against it. I'm NOT! The more the merrier... As long as they aren't hurting the field... Vandalizing graveyards at night, trespassing, passing forth BAD information as facts, feeling 'energies', and calling themselves "Experts".

    The title of the article is, "Becoming a Paranormal Expert In 10 Easy Steps".

    My BIGGEST problem with the field are self proclaimed experts. I FIRMLY believe that anyone that calls themselves an expert in the paranormal field, deserves to be called out as a fraud.

    See? After reading your Bill-bashing, and your comments, my knee jerk reaction was to counter attack, or walk away. But... I see that we have at least this in common. We don't like experts.

    This was aimed at THEM. Now, you may not appreciate the article, or care for the style it was written in, but along with the messages from those that DIDN'T get it, either because they didn't know what I was really writing about, or lets be honest, it hit a little too close to home, I've ALSO received a LOT of messages from people who enjoyed it, and some have even told me that it's helped them get their head straight about THEIR place in the field.

    That's gotta count for something.

    Also, if you spent some time reading my articles, and my site... My heart is wrapped up in that thing. It's me all the way through. I think you'll see that I'm not as bad as you think.

    Now, I've said my part. I've probably changed NOBODY'S opinions of me, what I've written, or why.

    Bash on!

    Bill

    Sorry this was so long. I wanted to be clear. I GENUINELY love conecting with people on a personal level, particularly people who like spooky stuff. I just dont like being misunderstood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Intelligent Haunt!
    Headed here thinking this was going to be a intelligent topic .
    Visited your site and then went to check out this guys article your bashing here.
    What I have made of all this is that this guy has hit the nail on the head and writing the crap you have above about the article is your way of dealing with your ego.
    I enjoyed the article and appreciate the point this guy is making.

    ReplyDelete